Life is like a Glass

Thursday, November 07, 2019

Working in this field has taught me alot about life. One of it is life is very fragile and unpredictable.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71sQXyJQtrL._SX425_.jpg

Almost everyday or not every other day, I see life seeping out of patients from predictable to unpredictable ones. After pronouncing more than 30+ deaths to family members, I thought this would have made me a tad bit heartless.

Last week, I received a phone call from my sister in the middle of the day while I was busy working. Thinking it was odd for her to call me, I picked up the call. In a very sad tone, she informed me that our paternal grandmother has left us. At that moment itself, I actually felt numb. It felt like another death being pronounced. As I was unable to attend the funeral due to work schedules, I felt guilty but I prayed for her to have a safe journey to the other side.

That night itself, I offered my last respects to my grandmother via videocall. The moment I saw her face, I burst into tears. (Nopes, this job has not made me anymore resilient to all these emotions.) I might not be very close to my grandmother but seeing her for the last time really tugged on my heartstrings. She was very fit and well the last time I saw her (maybe around a year ago?). I wished for her to be at a better place now, away from all the negativity that she was facing in these recent months. 

So people always say that doctors are heartless which I do not think its true. We might pronounced deaths with a pokerface but that is just to maintain our professionalism. A little bit of us still dies inside everytime we face a death especially if its someone dear to us.

Therefore, take care of all your friends that are having a hard time (whether they are doctors or not). Mental health is still a taboo in society nowadays. But it is up to us, to change this perspective :) 

Lastly, always appreciate those around you while they are still beside you so you would not have any regrets when they are gone someday! 

https://thehealthsciencesacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/The-Health-Sciences-Academy-hugs.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe